It took me until my late twenties to realize the importance of skincare. I used to always sleep with my make-up on and was careless about the products I used. I think the importance of a good skincare routine is often overlooked but, it is essential in keeping our skin looking healthy and preparing us for the effects of aging. I have done extensive research (with the help of Beautypedia) and have tried many products to find what works best with my skin. All skin types are different and finding the right product for your skin can be a process of trial and error. Beautiful skin requires commitment, time, patience, money, and most important…CONSISTENCY. An investment in skincare leads to lifelong healthy skin.
Here are Seven Skincare Secrets to incorporate for healthy glowing skin!
- Cleanser: Throughout the day the skin on your face is continually covered with bacteria, pollutants, viruses, dirt, and old (dead) skin cells. Cleansing your face is crucial to maintaining hydrated and clear skin. It’s important to use a product that is intended for your face – not just whatever bar or body wash you have lying around (guilty). You’ll want to wash your face gently. Then, rinse with warm water, because hot water removes natural oils and causes your skin to become dehydrated Lately, I have been using Rodan & Fields to help clear my adult acne…and IT WORKS WONDERS!
I was skeptical to try R & F because I am not a fan of MLM schemes. I’m impressed! My skin hasn’t been this clear for years (NO BREAKOUTS)! I had heard great things about this product but didn’t want to spend the money (it costs around $190 for the kit). Then, I heard it was the same dermatologists that created proactive which was a miracle for my skin so I splurged! I am so glad I did. If you’re interested in this product click here!
Other cleansers I LOVE (dermatologist recommended)
EltaMD was recommended to me when I first moved to New York. This product works really well. I would recommend this to someone with sensitive skin who is less prone to acne as I didn’t find it completely cleared my acne up. It turns from a gel to a foam while cleansing and washes away impurities without drying out or irritating the complexion. Solid choice. Solid price: $23.00
Skinceuticals was my go-to cleanser for years.This creamy & gentle cleanser smells so good! Like, citrus! This one really helped me from breaking out and has never irritated my skin. This is a really great product especially if you have rosacea or eczema. Price: $34.00
2. Toner: Applying a small amount of toner can shrink pores, restore skins natural pH balance, adds a layer of protection, and moisturizes. A toner can be used as a second defense to sweep away excess oils and dirt that weren’t removed with a cleanser. When I’m not using the R & F toner, I use Lemon Witch Hazel and I feel the lemon adds in brightening up skin tone!
3. VITAMIN C SERUM: You Guys. This is truly the FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH (and has been for years). Adding a vitamin c serum to your routine will brighten, tighten, and transform your skin.Vitamin C serums stimulate collagen production, protects skin, minimizes scars, and improves hydration and moisture.
Lately, I have been using Skinceuticals CE Ferulic. This only con about this product is the price ($165) but, it works very well and I have noticed a HUGE difference in the tone and texture of my skin. Plus, a little goes a long way and it lasts a long time. Click here to read more about the science behind this product. The benefits include…
- Provides advanced environmental protection by neutralizing damaging free radicals and remains effective for 72 hours!
- Visible anti-aging benefits, such as the improvement of the appearance of lines and wrinkles, loss of firmness, and brightens skin’s complexion–PARABEN FREE!
- Neutralizes free radicals on the upper layer of the skin to help prevent the impact of ozone damage to skin
Mario Badescu’s Vitamin C Serum is my other favorite. This one is more reasonably priced ($45) and also works very well. This product made me fall in love with all other Mario Badescu products. This lightweight serum is designed to encourage a more radiant and youthful-looking complexion. Sodium Hyaluronate and Collagen combine to rehydrate and plump—revealing a smoother, firmer complexion.
4. MOISTURIZER: That plump, firm feeling in your face after moisturizing isn’t an illusion. According to the British Journal of Dermatology, people with properly moisturized skin accumulate wrinkles at just a fraction of the rate of those with dry skin. The moisturizer I use is Creme De La Mer ($180) I have found that it works really well with my skin and I love the thickness. I usually only use this in the winter and I don’t use it every day since it is expensive but I have found that my skin looks best when I use this.
Another moisturizer that is similar to La Mer is the Nivea Creme (they have almost the same ingredients). The creme is thick and smooth. I use the German version of Nivea as the American version is different due to FDA regulations. The American version is more fragrant, watery, and doesn’t sink into the skin as well as the German. You can buy the German Version here.
Another product I use to moisturize under my eye is the Mario Badescu’s Hyaluronic Eye Cream
This eye cream is hydrating and contains hyalronic acid which restores moisture loss. The Euphrasia Extract and Aloe Vera help brighten and soothe delicate under-eyes as well—making it the ideal eye cream for daily use or under makeup.
5. EXFOLIANTS: Is your skin looking dull? Exfoliating skin two to three times a week can make skin smoother by removing dead skin cells and can help your other skincare products penetrate deeply and work better. I LOVE exfoliation day. I feel it evens out my skin tone and my make-up always goes on so much better! Exfoliating can also help combat signs of aging because the older skin cells you’re getting rid of tend to exaggerate the appearance of lines and wrinkles. I use the Nip + Fab Glycolic Scrub and it is THE BEST. First, it smells like grapefruits! Second, it is not too harsh for my sensitive skin but, tough enough to remove dead skin cells. You can purchase this on Amazon for $7.12!
Another exfoliating product I am OBSESSED with is the m-61 PowerGlow Peel from Blue Mercury. This treatment peel exfoliates, resurfaces, clarifies and firms skin in one quick step. Reduces pore size and improves skin tone, texture and clarity. Perfect as a treatment for dull, acne-prone skin. I use this before I put my make-up on and I feel it makes me glow! I usually use this for an event or rare occurrence such as a hot date!
I also love to use a charcoal mask once a week as charcoal is used to minimize pores. My favorite charcoal mask is the GlamGlow SuperMud! This potent formula supports skin’s natural oil balance and works to help minimize pores and create clearer skin.
6. SUNSCREEN: I went to the dermatologist years ago and asked him what I can do to prevent wrinkles in the future and his answer was “Sunscreen!” I was a little bugged as I wanted some sort of magic cream that would prevent them but a few years later I realize… he is SO RIGHT! I have noticed the sun damage to my skin and will never go out the door without sunscreen on my face. I use the gentle Elta MD sunscreen. All EltaMD sunscreens are recommended by The Skin Cancer Foundation as effective broad-spectrum sunscreens.
7. WATER & WRINKLES: According to all the celebrities, drinking water and staying hydrated is key to healthy skin. Water plays a vital role in digestion, blood circulation, absorption of nutrients and the flushing toxins. It’s important in the function of every organ in your body, including the skin. Just like all other organs, the skin is made up of cells that require water to function. When your skin cells aren’t sufficiently hydrated, the appearance of your skin suffers, making your skin look dry and dull. Water can also lead to healthier habits that can improve skin.
Every few months, I use prescription Tretinoin Cream (Retin-A, Vitamin A) on my face. Tretinoin increases the cell turnover rate, and boosts collagen synthesis to prevent wrinkles. When using this product, your skin will look worse before it gets better as this product can be quite harsh on the skin. The skin starts to flake off (purging phase) and new skin grows. It’s pretty amazing once the new skin is revealed. The tone and texture of the skin will change over time. I had a friend whose mom started using this in her twenties. She is now in her sixties and doesn’t look a day over forty! Talk with your dermatologist about it. Read more about it here!
TIP: Suffer from acne? Along with these seven steps, remember to wash anything that comes in contact with your face OFTEN such as your make-up brushes (best brush cleaner here), pillow cases, and hands!!!
TIP: Regular facials can really keep your skin clear and hydrated! Check Groupon for facials in your area.
TIP: DO YOUR RESEARCH! Avoid spending loads of money on products that get terrible reviews.
TIP: Take vitamins to help improve your skin from the inside. I take Biotin, Collagen, & Vitamin C
TIP: Avoid over-cleansing your face or using too much product as this can make the face worse. Check out this guide on how much product to use.
It’s easy to get carried away with product. Remember, less is more!
Thanks for reading!